This two-day USA Rugby Academy Training Camp will establish a strong technical foundation for game understanding, accelerated skill acquisition, and encourage athletes to apply their technique under increased pressure, and act instinctively in both attack and defense. Available for male and female athletes ages 14+ (players are segmented by age and ability).
Our Coaching Philosophy
- Develop instinctive athletes
- Maximize player potential
- Prepare athletes to achieve their goals
- Train skills necessary for the modern game
We train an attacking mindset by creating an environment where athletes see opportunity and are encouraged to experiment. We want every athlete to leave an Atavus program feeling inspired and wanting the ball in their hands. We focus on developing the critical skills necessary to get behind the defensive line using vision, awareness, and creativity. Our process is player centered and outcome-oriented, driven from the 'why'. Skills are trained through a combination of technical execution, pressure, and context, using variable & deliberate arctic to accelerate skills development and fortify transfer from the training put to game
day.Developing Modern Rugby Athletes
- Get behind the line: Step off both feet, and accelerate into space through contact.
- Maintain and preserve space: Pass off both hands at the right time, with the correct weight & manage their alignment, foot-speed & running lines to achieve the desired outcome.
- Create and manipulate space: Read the micro & macro cues of the defense.
- Give life to the ball: Keep the ball alive through offloading, inject energy with effective support lines, create fast ball.
- Manage defensive situations confidently, regardless of space and mismatches: Track & tackle effectively off both shoulders, and understand how to manage space to their advantage.
- Slow down opponent's attacking ball to regain advantage: Effective & deliberate actions post contact.
Atavus works with USA Rugby National Team coaches and athletes who stand for our philosophy and work together to develop our programming & curriculum.
Atavus High Performance Coach & Regional Account Manager
- First Rugby cap against Uruguay 2008
- Rugby World Cup 2011
- Professional at London Welsh RFC
- Atavus, Seattle Saracens, London Welsh RFC, & USA Rugby Eagles
- Education Coordinator at Atavus
- Assistant Forwards Coach Seattle Saracens
- WA Logger Assistant Coach
- From Bellingham WA
- Chuckanut Bay U19 and Men's
- USA U19, U20
- Golden Gate, Bayside Sharks
- NA4 West Team 2008
- Debut for USA, November-2008
- London Welsh RFC 2010-2012
- Trinity College Dublin
USA U20s Head Coach
- High Performance Talent ID & Database Manager