This two-day USA Rugby Academy Training Camp will establish a strong technical foundation for game understanding, accelerated skill acquisition, and encourage athletes to apply their technique under increased pressure, and act instinctively in both attack and defense. Available for male and female athletes ages 14+ (players are segmented by age and ability).
Our Coaching Philosophy
- Develop instinctive athletes
- Maximize player potential
- Prepare athletes to achieve their goals
- Train skills necessary for the modern game
At Atavus, we train an Attacking mindset
by creating an environment where athletes see opportunity
and are encouraged to experiment
. We want every athlete to leave an Atavus program feeling inspired
and wanting the ball in their hands
. We focus on developing the critical the critical skills necessary for the modern game
with an emphasis on getting behind the defensive line using vision, awareness, and creativity. Our process is player centered
, driven from the why
. Skills are trained through a combination of technical execution, pressure, and context, using variable & deliberate arctic to accelerate skills development and fortify transfer from the training put to game
day.Developing Modern Rugby Athletes
- Get behind the line: Step off both feet, and accelerate into space through contact.
- Maintain and preserve space: Pass off both hands at the right time, with the correct weight & manage their alignment, foot-speed & running lines to achieve the desired outcome.
- Create and manipulate space: Read the micro & macro cues of the defense.
- Give life to the ball: Keep the ball alive through offloading, inject energy with effective support lines, create fast ball.
- Manage defensive situations confidently, regardless of space and mismatches: Track & tackle effectively off both shoulders, and understand how to manage space to their advantage.
- Slow down opponent's attacking ball to regain advantage: Effective & deliberate actions post contact.
Atavus employs USA Rugby National Team coaches and athletes who stand for our philosophy and work together to develop our programming & curriculum.
• Daines coached the U of M until 2007• Minnesota Valkyries until 2011• USA Rugby WCAA until 2014Current.• Assistant Coach of the Women’s National Team 15s
Lindenwood University Women’s Rugby Head Coach
Billy Nicholas has been the women’s rugby head coach at Lindenwood University since August 2014.Nicholas was a member of Old Blue RFC and played 15's and 7's.Nicholas was a coach with the 2014 inaugural Old Blue Women’s RFC 7's team that finished first in the Northeast Region and finished second in the nation for Women’s Club 7's. He has coached with Atlantis Elite 7s for high school and Senior Women for multiple years and led teams to top finishes in NYC 7's, Vegas 7's and Tobago and Barbados World 7s.Nicholas has spent professional development time working with the USA Women’s 7's Eagles at the Olympic Training Center, Atavus USA Rugby Academy and the American Rugby Pro Training Center. He was named one of the 2014 USA Rugby Coaches of the Year at the National Development Summit in Philadelphia, Pa.
Member of the Elite Coaching Pathway for USA Women’s Rugby National level. He has seen several of his current and previous players Capped at the International level in both 15s and 7s for multiple countries.
He has led the Lindenwood University team to multiple National Championship matches in 15s and 7s at the highest possible level. Most recently winning the USA Rugby 7s National Champions title in 2017.He graduated with honors from State University of New York at Cortland in 2007 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Education and earned a Master of Science degree in Health Education there in 2009.
Women’s USA 7s Head Coach
- Former USA Men's 7s assistant coach
- Former USA Women’s 7s assistant coach
- USA Women's 15s skills coach
- USA Women's 7s head coach