This two-day USA Rugby Academy Training Camp will establish a strong technical foundation for game understanding, accelerated skill acquisition, and encourage athletes to apply their technique under increased pressure, and act instinctively in both attack and defense. Available for male and female athletes ages 14+ (players are segmented by age and ability).
Our Coaching Philosophy
- Develop instinctive athletes
- Maximize player potential
- Prepare athletes to achieve their goals
- Train skills necessary for the modern game
We train an attacking mindset by creating an environment where athletes see opportunity and are encouraged to experiment. We want every athlete to leave an Atavus program feeling inspired and wanting the ball in their hands. We focus on developing the critical skills necessary to get behind the defensive line using vision, awareness, and creativity. Our process is player centered and outcome-oriented, driven from the 'why'. Skills are trained through a combination of technical execution, pressure, and context to accelerate skill development and fortify transfer from training to game day.Developing Modern Rugby Athletes
- Get behind the line: Step off both feet, and accelerate into space through contact.
- Maintain and preserve space: Pass off both hands at the right time, with the correct weight & manage their alignment, foot-speed & running lines to achieve the desired outcome.
- Create and manipulate space: Read the micro & macro cues of the defense.
- Give life to the ball: Keep the ball alive through offloading, inject energy with effective support lines, create fast ball.
- Manage defensive situations confidently, regardless of space and mismatches: Track & tackle effectively off both shoulders, and understand how to manage space to their advantage.
- Slow down opponent's attacking ball to regain advantage: Effective & deliberate actions post contact.
Atavus employs USA Rugby National Team coaches and athletes who stand for our philosophy and work together to develop our programming & curriculum.
2016 USA Olympic Team Leader
- 2014 USA 15s Women’s World Cup Team
- 2013 USA 7s Women’s World Cup Team
- 2012 USA 7s National Champion Winner and Tournament MVP - San Diego Surfers
- Atavus, Saracens, & Brown University
- Atavus Rugby Program Developer with USA Rugby Academy
- US Nationals 15s & 7s teams since 2007
- IRB 15s World Cup in 2010
- 2012: MVP National 7s Club Championship
- Current Club: Saracens Rugby - England
- Hometown: Montreal, Canada
- Playing rugby since 2000
- Brown University
-Ice hockey and rugby while in school
-Coached Brown women's rugby backs
-2007: Collegiate Player of the Year
-3 time All-American
- Directed Beantown Rugby Tournament
- Cofounded Boston Belles
-(one of the 1st women's rugby 7s team in USA)
MCAA Assistant Coach
- Beating New Zealand as a coach at the Rugby World Cup in France 2014
- Atavus, USA Rugby, Yale Rugby, & IRFU
- Atavus Curriculum Developer
- Yale Rugby
- Men’s Collegiate All-Americans
- From Leinster, Ireland
- St. Michaels College
- Trinity College Dublin
- 2014 | Attack, Backs, & Skills Coach to the Irish Women’s National Team
- 2010-14 | Leinster U19 Coach
USA 7s & 15s Eagle
- USA Rugby Eagle - Rugby World Cup 2015
- Representing USA Men’s 15s in the summer tests
- Representing USA 7s RWC 2009 & 2013
- 1st 15‘s Cap against Uruguay 2014
- ATAVUS, Seattle Saracens, Souths Logan Magpies, & USA Rugby Eagles
- Seattle Saracens
- ATAVUS - Coach
- ATAVUS Regional Account Manager
- Plays Halfback for US National 7s & 15s Rugby
- Hometown: Auckland, NZ
- Kelson Boys’ High School
- 2004: New Zealand Junior Kiwis Rugby League
- South Logan Magpies in QLD Cup
- 2011-12: IRB 7s World Series - Captain of Team