This two-day USA Rugby Academy Training Camp will establish a strong technical foundation for game understanding, accelerated skill acquisition, and encourage athletes to apply their technique under increased pressure, and act instinctively in both attack and defense. Available for male and female athletes ages 14+ (players are segmented by age and ability).
Our Coaching Philosophy
- Develop instinctive athletes
- Maximize player potential
- Prepare athletes to achieve their goals
- Train skills necessary for the modern game
At Atavus, we train an Attacking mindset
by creating an environment where athletes see opportunity
and are encouraged to experiment
. We want every athlete to leave an Atavus program feeling inspired
and wanting the ball in their hands
. We focus on developing the critical the critical skills necessary for the modern game
with an emphasis on getting behind the defensive line using vision, awareness, and creativity. Our process is player centered
, driven from the why
. Skills are trained through a combination of technical execution, pressure, and context, using variable & deliberate arctic to accelerate skills development and fortify transfer from the training put to game
day.Developing Modern Rugby Athletes
- Get behind the line: Step off both feet, and accelerate into space through contact.
- Maintain and preserve space: Pass off both hands at the right time, with the correct weight & manage their alignment, foot-speed & running lines to achieve the desired outcome.
- Create and manipulate space: Read the micro & macro cues of the defense.
- Give life to the ball: Keep the ball alive through offloading, inject energy with effective support lines, create fast ball.
- Manage defensive situations confidently, regardless of space and mismatches: Track & tackle effectively off both shoulders, and understand how to manage space to their advantage.
- Slow down opponent's attacking ball to regain advantage: Effective & deliberate actions post contact.
Atavus employs USA Rugby National Team coaches and athletes who stand for our philosophy and work together to develop our programming & curriculum.
• Daines coached the U of M until 2007• Minnesota Valkyries until 2011• USA Rugby WCAA until 2014Current.• Assistant Coach of the Women’s National Team 15s
Atavus High Performance Coach & Regional Account Manager
- First Rugby cap against Uruguay 2008
- Rugby World Cup 2011
- Professional at London Welsh RFC
- Atavus, Seattle Saracens, London Welsh RFC, & USA Rugby Eagles
- Education Coordinator at Atavus
- Assistant Forwards Coach Seattle Saracens
- WA Logger Assistant Coach
- From Bellingham WA
- Chuckanut Bay U19 and Men's
- USA U19, U20
- Golden Gate, Bayside Sharks
- NA4 West Team 2008
- Debut for USA, November-2008
- London Welsh RFC 2010-2012
- Trinity College Dublin
USA 7s & 15s Eagle
- USA Rugby Eagle - Rugby World Cup 2015
- Representing USA Men’s 15s in the summer tests
- Representing USA 7s RWC 2009 & 2013
- 1st 15‘s Cap against Uruguay 2014
- ATAVUS, Seattle Saracens, Souths Logan Magpies, & USA Rugby Eagles
- Seattle Saracens
- ATAVUS - Coach
- ATAVUS Regional Account Manager
- Plays Halfback for US National 7s & 15s Rugby
- Hometown: Auckland, NZ
- Kelson Boys’ High School
- 2004: New Zealand Junior Kiwis Rugby League
- South Logan Magpies in QLD Cup
- 2011-12: IRB 7s World Series - Captain of Team